Rick Meekins is the Managing Partner at Aepiphanni, a Business Consultancy, an Atlanta, GA based small business consultancy that provides Management Consulting, Implementation and Managed Services to business leaders and entrepreneurs seeking to improve or expand operations.
Be an Influencer | Extraordinary Business
The Small Business Influencers 2011 Awards from Small Business Trends was announced today on Business Insider. You can read the article and who the influencers were here. Congratulations to all of the winners.
As business leaders, while perhaps serving only local or niches, we are influencers and influenced by other people. Being a great business leader suggests that you can sit in both seats, well. While you might suggest that you can only be influenced by those who are great, who have walked the path before you, there are those, who, every day, see the holes or cracks and something that may appear to be insignificant, that could provide unique insight on how to fix it or make things better. All he or she needs is an opportunity to communicate their insight on how something could be better.
How can you be a great influencer?
- Shine Your Shoes: Figuratively, of course. No one is going to take advice on how to dress for success from someone who dresses poorly
- Clean Your Ears: Great influencers know that they influence people through conversation, not by spouting off wild epitaphs periodically. That’s why God gave us two ears and one mouth
- Brush, Floss, Gargle, Repeat: If you are a sports enthusiast, you know that consistency builds credibility. There are many pretty good football players, but the ones who get credit (endorsements, big checks, contract renewals) are the ones who get out there and do it every day
- Clean the Toilets: As an influencer, don’t become so great that you alienate those that helped you get there.
- Carry the Burden: Stand behind what you say. Don’t give a piece of advice you wouldn’t take or wouldn’t take responsibility for if the outcome is not what was expected
- Don’t play Doctor: While you might speculate, provide influence only where you are qualified. Otherwise you may lose credibility
- Timeliness is Next to Godliness: Keep in mind that there is a time and a place for everything.
- Don’t give Pearls to Pigs: Know who you can influence and who you cannot. Don’t waste your time on those who you cannot influence. Watch those that you can, thrive
Remember – most importantly – outcomes beat intentions. There will be people over whom you have a level of influence who do have the best of intentions. You, yourself, will have the best of intentions as you offer your influence. The bottom line is that no matter what is done or what is said, the bottom line is what is going to be remembered. Recommendation: Don’t over or understate your recommendations and don’t over or under-commit. Know your potential and limitations.
Aepiphanni Business Consulting: The Business Strategy People is an Operations Management and Business Strategy Consulting Firm dedicated to serving the needs of small to medium sized business leaders. We specialize in helping leaders create extraordinary businesses. We welcome clients in the personal and professional services industries, including Creative and Design Services, Software & IT Services, Professional Services and Specialty Consumer Services. As always, we welcome your comments, thoughts, questions and suggestions. If you are seeking a business assessment, or have further questions about creating your strategy or developing your vision, please give me, Rick Meekins, a call at 678-265-3908, or email us at [email protected].