Following the Crowd or Innovating Approaches?
Doing the same thing you have always done and continuing to get results that don’t meet your expectations is a waste of your valuable resources – time, energy, opportunity (to be doing something else) and probably business cards. Many business owners tend to race around doing the same things that everyone else is doing because they feel that this is the only way to achieve the goals that they have.
This can be likened to multi-level marketing: when you are at the top of the chain – one of the INNOVATORS – you have a greater likelihood of success than those that come into an already saturated market. Are there exceptions to the rule? Absolutely. Because of different personalities, skills, persuasiveness, etc., there will always be those who approach the market in such a way that they are the exception to the rule.
In order to be successful in business development activities – both sales, marketing and management, you’ll need to do more than follow the crowd. You’ve got to be innovative in your approach, and be able to answer why you are doing the activity and what, specifically, you expect to get out of it. For example:
- Why are you going to the event or group you have in mind? What do you hope to accomplish?
- Who, specifically, are you looking to meet? (Consider this – most people you meet aren’t going to be in your target market. Most people you meet at networking events aren’t going to turn over their networked list. That said: Why are you there and who are you looking to meet?)
- How do you know if they will be there?
- What do you expect the outcome of meeting that person will be?
- How long do you actually need to be there?
- How do you know that the event/interaction were actually successful?
- What are the follow-up steps you need to take?
Here’s the thing: even if you do all of this, you’ve got to evaluate it over time and determine if this is the best use of your time, and what you could be doing that might be more effective over time. The best way I have found to do it is to track the events or the campaign over time. I also ask what I could be doing differently or better to get better results from the activities.
Aepiphanni Business Consulting: The Business Strategy People is an Atlanta, Georgia based Operations Management and Business Strategy Consulting Firm dedicated to serving the needs of small to medium sized business leaders. We help business leaders DESIGN| CREATE | BUILD extraordinary businesses. We support our clients with financial management, product and service production and delivery, outsourced services management, sales & marketing and business growth. We provide them with a number of flexible solutions to help them reach their goals.
Join us for a 30-minute complimentary Coffee & a Consult, to learn more about Aepiphanni and how we might help you move your company from existing to extraordinary.