Do you know what is keeping your business from being where you would like it to be? Is it time? Money? Space? Other people? Lack of customers?
I think that many business owners can identify many things that are going wrong in their businesses. It is something that you should know.
The question is, as much as it pains you – what are you doing about it?
My daughter – 11 years old – wants to get involved in school activities – which I think is great. She is also very smart – and I am not just saying that because she is my daughter. In order for her to get involved in this activity, she has to have the money to purchase the equipment for it.
My original response was simply to go out and get it for her – most parents would, I am sure. However, this was an opportunity to have her sit down and look at the situation. So, we sat down and talked about it.
I had her identify her goal –
to participate in this particular program. She was very clear about that.
Next, I had her consider all of the ways she could raise enough money to participate in the program –
- She could start a business,
- She could work for someone else,
- She could ask grandma for the money.
What are the pitfalls for each –
- Start a business – this takes a bit of time and planning – something she will do, but she needs the money today.
- Work for someone else – this is also good, but it takes time to find someone to work for.
- Get money from Grandma – this is a short term solution, but the money to participate is ongoing – she will need to have money each month in order to participate.
- Give up – This will not help her reach her goals, and will set a precedent for the rest of her life. Can’t have that.
What is the reasonable solution? Well, she ended up realizing that she could use money from her Grandma to cover the first few months, then work on her business on the weekends to get it going, but in the mean time, work for someone else.
While this was a simple solution, consider this for your business: Like you, she had a dream, and she refused to give up on it. Her determination and thinking elevated her ability to achieve, even when it seemed highly improbable. You can do it, to. Own it!
At Aepiphanni Business Solutions, we are dedicated to serving the needs of small business owners. We specialize in helping you develop strategies for your organization, and are committed to your success. If you have further questions about creating your strategy or developing your vision, please give me, Rick Meekins, a call at 678-265-3908, or email us at [email protected].