“Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of
their appointed rounds” – “Motto” of the Postal Service
As a young person, we had a mail man named Mr. Brown. In our neighborhood, the mail carriers (still do) park their vehicles at the end of our street and carry the mail from house to house in their mail sack. I remember that no matter what – rain, snow, wind, Mr. Brown was always there with our mail.
The son’s not always shining, business leaders!! It’s typically not the business leader who creates the great product or service item that stays in business. It is he or she that has the tenacity to push through the ebbs and flows of economies, market trends, industry trends, etc. and continues to push their product or service to their markets.
Having the staying power to plow through the challenges facing business leaders requires some tooling that goes beyond will-power. It requires having:
- Clear understanding of where you are going. Lack of clarity will not only take you off course, but will also take those around you off course. Having clear direction is essential for you and your team, to keep motivated toward a clear and specific goal
- Understanding of where you have been and what you have overcome. More than likely, as a business leader, you’ve come through a number of challenges – or have seen peers come through similar challenges. There will ALWAYS be another challenge that comes around the corner, no matter what you do. Being able to look back over what you’ve already accomplished will give you confidence to keep moving forward.
- Belief that you and your team can overcome the challenge. Sometimes, the only difference between success and failure is taking the next step. Remember – you know where you are going. You know where you have been. The only logical thing to do is to take into consideration both and keep moving forward.
- Faith. While typically ascribed to a belief system, faith is knowing, without a doubt that things will work out. Faith says that when you flip your light switch on, or turn the knob on your faucet, the lights will come on or the water will come out, respectively.
These four elements should be those that you can set up and constantly refer to. There will be those times when you just don’t feel like making it happen; it happens to most people. Then you go back through your paces:
- I know where I am going
- I have been through this before
- We can do this
- It will work
…and make it happen. Follow the postman. Build an extraordinary business. Leave a legacy.
Aepiphanni Business Consulting: The Business Strategy People is an Operations Management and Business Strategy Consulting Firm dedicated to serving the needs of small to medium sized business leaders. We specialize in helping leaders create extraordinary businesses.
We welcome clients in the personal and professional services industries, including Creative and Design Services, Software & IT Services, Professional Services and Specialty Consumer Services. As always, we welcome your comments, thoughts, questions and suggestions.
If you are seeking a business assessment, or have further questions about creating your strategy or developing your vision, please give me, Rick Meekins, a call at 678-265-3908, or email us at [email protected].
Rick Meekins is the Managing Partner at Aepiphanni, a Business Consultancy, an Atlanta, GA based small business consultancy that provides Management Consulting, Implementation and Managed Services to business leaders and entrepreneurs seeking to improve or expand operations.