“How does someone move from ordinary to extraordinary?” was the question posed to me last evening. Sure, there are lots of “one-size-fits-all” answers out there, and you could invest lots of time and energy into reading them, going to seminars and memorizing “10 Ways to…” lists. Most will be excellent and you will gain from them.
The problem is, in some cases, that being extraordinary is like being successful; it is defined by you, the individual, and it is normally in a very narrow scope. If we were talking about your business, it would be your niche. In sports, it would be your Olympic event.
Because I wish to serve my clients in order for them to be successful, I feel that I must be an extraordinary person as well. My area of expertise will be in developing passion-driven organizations, that is, business that are built around extraordinary people and their gifts.
In order for me to do so, I have to do several things:
- I have to be committed to it. Everything I do needs to point back to my vision
- I have to practice it. Every day. That means more reading, growing and thinking about it.
- I have to ask myself, “How can I be better?” every day.
- I have to permit myself to make mistakes in order to further my personal development.
- I have to review my mission and vision, daily, and determine how I will live it each day.
- I must manage my time and my energy so that I can perform and add to my current base.
- I must know who I am accountable to.
- I must capture snapshots of people who are demonstrate characteristics or traits that look like the place I seek to evolve to.
- I must be acutely aware of my strengths and weaknesses, gifts and abilities – not by knowledge, but by doing. I would never know whether or not I could climb a mountain if I never try.
- I must identify people who will strengthen me and learn to grow from people who seek to tear me down. Running away doesn’t solve problems; it makes them fester.
Once I have laid a strong foundation in myself – I know who I am, what I am about, where I am going, what I want to do and am doing it, becoming extraordinary is taking all of it and giving it to someone else. Think about what has made people extraordinary in the past – what made their stories last – what put them in the history books. It was more often what they gave away than what they did for themselves.
Aepiphanni is a Business Consultancy that provides Management Consulting, Managed, and Implementation Services to business leaders and entrepreneurs seeking to improve or expand operations. We are the trusted advisor to those seeking forward-thinking operational and strategic solutions to help them plan for and navigate through the challenges of business growth.
If you are ready to discuss how Aepiphanni can help you with business strategy, overcoming challenges to growth or any number of business solutions for your business, whether a small, growing or established company, contact us directly or submit a request for a complimentary Coffee & a Consult to learn how we can help you CREATE | DESIGN | BUILD an Extraordinary company.