How planning for your company based on the Four Percenter’s Framework can help you build an extraordinary business.
The end of the year is always an interesting time for many people. While some might feel that it is just another day, perhaps others feel that it is another opportunity for a party, there are those who, perhaps look at it as a mile marker.
As a business owner, many times, we will look at the past year in terms of what we didn’t accomplish, what opportunities we missed and what we would like to do differently in the future.
The question is: what do you focus on to improve? Are there specific strategic initiatives you will be pursuing, or will you plan to do more “patching” of issues that have popped up at your company. Will you focus on band aids, or getting to the root cause of whatever challenges are keeping your company from progressing.
As an extraordinary business, or one that aspires to be so, it would be wise to look at the framework of an extraordinary company – that of the Four Percenters – in order to establish goals for the New Year. Why is this? The Four Percenter’s framework provides a way of thinking that can be considered the difference between those businesses that become extraordinary and those that tend to more on the side of ordinary. the framework is not a once and done, little dab will do you, cure all, secret sauce to building a multi-national organization with presence on every continent, but rather, the same type of thinking that builds body builders from skinny kids who got beaten up in middle school.
So if we were to plan and build with respect to building an extraordinary business, we would create goals for 2014, broken down into the seven areas of the Four Percenter’s Framework:
- Profitable business model: (profitable = scale-able, replicate-able, license-able or sellable)
- Develops Game-Changing products and services and positioning: It is the companies that serve their markets in the most unique and sustainable ways that lead the market
- In constant pursuit of excellence: Excellence is a game-changer; businesses not driven to excellence – to be the top of their niche are businesses that a) are commodity businesses and have little profit opportunity or b) businesses that will be outmatched by another company that looks just like them but does the job better
- Striving for Market Leadership: Market leadership is attainable by the businesses that are truly committed to it.
- Always innovating: whenever you have something great in the marketplace, someone else will see it and decide that they will offer it, too.
- Socially responsible: building strategic performance goals that apply to all stakeholders, thinking in terms of a triple bottom line: profits, people and planet
- Committed to leaving a legacy: – make a positive lasting impact on all stakeholders
Consider for your company – how might these play out? How might these goals result in building a sustainable company with a solid foundation for growth and a clear path to more your company from simply thriving to surviving?
I would love to hear your thoughts and feedback on how this thinking might impact how you plan for and grow your company.
Wishing you and yours an Extraordinary New Year!
Rick Meekins is the Managing Consultant at Aepiphanni, the trusted advisor for business leaders who are seeking forward-thinking solutions to help them plan for and navigate through the challenges of business growth. Our entrepreneurial multidisciplinary team works with clients to develop differentiating solutions and provide direction focused on lasting, strategic results. We exist to help our clients CREATE | DESIGN | BUILD extraordinary businesses.
We would love to hear from you. Please share your thoughts and comments below. If you are seeking advice on how to grow your business, streamline systems and processes, implement software or overcoming challenges to growth, please contact us, directly or submit a request for a complimentary Coffee & a Consult to learn how we can help you CREATE | DESIGN | BUILD an extraordinary company..
Rick Meekins is the Managing Partner at Aepiphanni, a Business Consultancy, an Atlanta, GA based small business consultancy that provides Management Consulting, Implementation and Managed Services to business leaders and entrepreneurs seeking to improve or expand operations.