Extraordinary Business: Getting it all Done!
Running a business takes a lot of work – there is always something else than needs to be done – customer service to provide, product and service development, marketing, following up on leads, etc.. With so much going on, many business leaders find themselves quickly overwhelmed and moving into states of under-producing and disappointment.
Unfortunately, like most things, unless something is done about it, nothing will change. Additionally, if not addressed, there is a good chance of it getting worse, snowballing until there is no choice but to stop. At this point, there is often no choice but to do things differently.
In order to be proactive, here are a few tips to get things under control, be more productive and more satisfied with your ability to get things done:
- Keep your tasks prioritize. Focus on those things that are important and urgent and important and non-urgent. Everything that is urgent isn’t necessarily important.
- Be decisive. Sometimes this proves to be a challenge for some, but with practice and the understanding that you are running an organization, indecisiveness leads to a weak foundation and poor followership.
- Be wise in managing time. Use a block schedule. If there is a history of underestimating the time it takes to get things done, add a defined percentage of time to any task you’ve timed out. Over committing takes a lot of effort and creates a great deal of stress.
- Have stopping points in tasks and celebrate completion those parts of a larger task. This actually help alleviate stress and make tasks less of a burden. Celebration may be as simple as taking a quick break.
- Neither of these (3 & 4) means lowering the set standards, but it means, rather, taking the time to do things right. Many people tend not to work as well or do as good a job under stress (although there are those that do!)
- Don’t stress! Getting physiologically flustered is inefficient. If the same effort and energy was displaced to getting the work done, the work would get done that much faster.
- Considers hiring an administrative professional. Virtual administrative professionals can prove to be the best thing that ever happened to a business, without the cost and commitment of a full-time or part time employee. Virtual professionals often have expertise in specific areas and are often quick to grasp concepts, work much faster and take responsibility for their work.
- Above all – don’t give up. Focus on one thing at a time. Other things have their own, unique set of challenges.
- Keep focused on the clear, concise vision. If there is no vision, it just won’t work.
Aepiphanni Business Consulting: The Business Strategy People is an Operations Management and Strategy Consulting Firm dedicated to serving the needs of small to medium sized business leaders. We specialize in helping leaders create extraordinary businesses.
We welcome clients in the personal and professional services industries, including Creative and Design Services, Software & IT Services, Professional Services and Healthcare Services. As always, we welcome your comments, thoughts, questions and suggestions.
If you are seeking a business assessment, or have further questions about creating your strategy or developing your vision, please give me, Rick Meekins, a call at 678-265-3908, or email us at [email protected].