Case Study 4 – Business Growth
- In the early 2000s we worked with a small company in the food service space that had started off as a catering hobby. Baking cakes and other small projects were the initial jobs. Then as our client’s reputation grew, bigger projects started coming in, which in turn required more staff and more equipment and space. The owner wanted to expand into a proper restaurant and needed help to accomplish it properly.
Our challenge was to enable the client to take on bigger jobs without shared kitchens or for-rent spaces available. So, after analyzing the situation we decided to create a restaurant. Our business plan involved the SBA, banks and the local community development organization.
We worked with the local community development organization to procure a place that had been unused for some time to be used for the restaurant. As we executed our plan, we raised the required capital and built a restaurant to serve customers when not catering.
The plan worked wonderfully. The restaurant was at the top floor of an office building that had some 2500 people. Both onsite and offsite catering were offered at the restaurant, which had a dining room with a capacity of 200 people. The owner exited the business in a very positive manner as the restaurant introduced a number of innovations to the market ranging from Spoken Word nights to free Wi-Fi.
As a result of what we were able to CREATE|DESIGN|BUILD, the client enjoyed the following results:
- Launched restaurant with 200-people capacity and 20-member staff
- $250,000 worth of equipment and other assets
- Had a wonderful impact on the community
- The business became a great asset to the community