So…You are CEO…What Now?
I’ve worked with a number of entrepreneurs who tend to call themselves CEO, or Chief Executive Officer, which, in all respects, is fine. It’s no different then being a solopreneur, (an entrepreneur who runs a single person shop) and referring to ‘we’ whenever goods and services are questioned.
While many small business owners embrace this idea, a common thread I’ve seen amongst business owners is determining where and how to fit into the organization. Some wish to do everything. Others wish to hire a manager and take long, exotic vacations on company funds. Others, still, sort of bounce…around…inconsistently…consistently getting in everyone’s way.
The job of the CEO or whatever the business owner is calling themselves, is to drive the vision for the organization. This assumes, of course, that the business has a vision. What this means is that:
- You probably cannot take a job in the business that is going to take you away from driving the vision.
- You need to evaluate what you do each day to determine what types of things you need to get off your plate so you can drive the vision
- Being the CEO doesn’t mean you need to put your thumb on everyone’s neck. You will get far more from them by sharing the vision, leveraging their input and allowing them to focus their energies on their strengths
- Being CEO doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t be present. Driving the vision cannot be done without presence. This means that you need to connect with your people – virtually or actually, on a regular basis.
- Being CEO doesn’t mean that in the earlier phases of your business, you “just don’t do stuff.” But it does mean being cognizant of where the holes are and making plans to address them before they become problems!
As CEO of the organization, your organization is dependant on you for leadership, direction and presence. Business is about people, and good business is about bringing people together, with specific gifts, talents and abilities, synergizing and focusing those energies on a single vision, which will make all parties better off.
Business, at its core, is about people.
At Aepiphanni Business Solutions, we are a Small Business Consulting Firm dedicated to serving the needs of small business owners. We specialize in helping you develop strategies for your organization, and are committed to your success. If you have further questions about creating your strategy or developing your vision, please give me, Rick Meekins, a call at 678-265-3908, or email us at [email protected].