Starter or Sidelined? | Extraordinary Business
With Super Bowl XLV around the corner, the conversation these days is around who will win. According to www.NFL.com, the Packers are the popular choice over the Pittsburg Steelers. Everyone has their theories about why they’ve chosen one team over the other, using criteria such as injuries, experience, heart, coaching style, key people, etc. I’ve submitted my vote for the Steelers. Unfortunately, I, like many of us, will be a spectator, rather than a player, watching the game.
What about you? What about your business? Is your business in the game or are you on the sidelines?
The difference between being on the sidelines and getting in the game is a lot more than luck and being in the right place at the right time. It takes drive and determination, day in and day out in order to make it to the big leagues. There is no such thing as “done training” or “done building” in the business community, because the moment you do is the moment your business begins to lose momentum.
Grow and run an extraordinary business. Don’t sit and watch from the sidelines as other businesses take the place of your business in the marketplace. From a decisive perspective, it takes no more thought to to grow an ordinary business then to create an extraordinary one. The difference is a result of focus, effort and drive.
Start with the following:
Decide what you want to do
- Create a vision: what does the business look like in 5, 10 or 15 years? Has the business grown? How large is it? Where is it operated?
- What has the business accomplished? Is it a large firm? Does it have local, national, international or global reach?
- What is the business known for? Is it a great place to work? Does it have a track record of making excellent progress? Is it known for brilliance or innovations?
- Does the business support the community, perhaps through employing people, sponsoring events or scholarships?
- What does the company revenues look like? Is it a $1M, $10M, $100M or $1B+ company?
Ask yourself: why not you? Why not your business? What will it take to get there? Learn from the people who have done it:
- Read their books
- Study their backgrounds
- Listen to their CD’s
- Learn from their mentors
- Talk to them
- Hang out with them
Create a plan. Having a picture on the wall or some brilliant quotes on your website won’t do it. Make a plan.
- Without a plan you’ll be fishing for a tadpole in the middle of the ocean; your chances of success will be very slim.
Get a coach or a consultant
- To help you with the fine aspects of your plan
- To guide you through the growth process
- To hold you accountable for your progress, or lack thereof
- To help you think through difficult decisions and challenges
Take action. A plan without action is no more than a waste of time. You won’t even be on the sidelines.
Go Extraordinary. Be a starter. Don’t let life’s SuperBowl leave you stuck on the sidelines.
Aepiphanni Business Consulting: The Business Strategy People is an Operations Management and Business Strategy Consulting Firm dedicated to serving the needs of small to medium sized business leaders. We specialize in helping leaders create extraordinary businesses.
We welcome clients in the personal and professional services industries, including Creative and Design Services, Software & IT Services, Professional Services and Specialty Consumer Services. As always, we welcome your comments, thoughts, questions and suggestions.
If you are seeking a business assessment, or have further questions about creating your strategy or developing your vision, please give me, Rick Meekins, a call at 678-265-3908, or email us at [email protected].