Rick Meekins is the Managing Partner at Aepiphanni, a Business Consultancy, an Atlanta, GA based small business consultancy that provides Management Consulting, Implementation and Managed Services to business leaders and entrepreneurs seeking to improve or expand operations.
Wanted: Heroes in America
DO YOU REALIZE, SMALL BUSINESS OWNER, THAT YOU ARE A HERO???
Win or lose, succeed or fail, you are living the American Dream. You’ve tied your shingle to the door, set your pencil and your pad on your desk, got your trust phone out and are in business.
But what does this mean?
It is an awesome social responsibility, and you have to do your part. Sure many people think that it is all about them. Adam Smith in “the Wealth of Nations,” states,
“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
Basically this is saying, “everything I do in my business is for my benefit.”
Is this your mentality? Do you want to gobble up the marketplace, get all you can, take away from others and leave homeless, crying babies in your wake? Sounds villainous to me.
When you consider only your own well-being, everyone tends to lose. Look at the collapse of the US economy, and economies around the world. Do you think that it was the result of selfless heroic acts? I think not.
Look at the race for President. Do you see the US disdain and distrust for those using a negative, smear campaign to attempt to accomplish their mission? You could never trust people who use those tactics; they will turn around and use them on you.
In your business, I promise you,
“you will reap what you sow, later than you sow, more than you sow,” to quote Dr. Charles Stanley. So consider the following:
- If you are good to people, offer them a good product at a good price, they will trust and be committed to you
- If you say what you’ll do and do what you say, people will trust and depend on you
- If you are clear with your intentions – your mission, vision, values and principles, people will respect them
- If you serve and guard your niche, consistently, with a focus on their best interests, they will return the favor
- If you cut corners, serve substandard products and over charge, your customers are only borrowed
- If you try to “sell” your customers every time you see them, you won’t see them
- If you offer one thing and try to sell them something else, you might get them once, but never again
- If you aren’t clear with your intentions and beliefs, you will suffer and you won’t last.
Be a hero. The world needs us.]]>