King of the Hill | Extraordinary Business
and stay there. That said, most of us had our moments at the top, but few of us had the staying power to stay on top. Getting there was literally half the battle. Becoming an extraordinary leader or running an extraordinary business is a battle in and of itself. It is the day in and day out one-step-at-a-time progression toward a specific objective. Keeping that perspective, come what may, you will make it. Still, this is only half the battle. When playing King of the Hill, the way that we could stay on top of the hill, as the tyrants we were, was to constantly watch what was going on in the environment around us. Sometimes the kids would come at us individually, sometimes they would pair up and other times, they would come as a team. Being on top of the hill, the King would have the greatest perspective of what was going on, consider his resources (it was just us guys) and formulate the appropriate counter-attack. As a leader, you cannot afford to run your business with your head down. There are six things in business that are always changing that you cannot do anything about:
- Society – the way people live together
- Technology – advancements to make people’s lives better
- Economy – the way people spend their money
- Environment – Marketplace or industry
- Politics – legislation that changes the way things are done
- As a manufacturer, what do you do when one of the components of your products is no longer available?
- What do you do, as a service provider, when your primary means of communication is no longer available, be the internet, telephone, cell phone or vehicle?
- As a health professional, what do you do when legislation changes the way you have to do your job or run your practice?